In the previous blog the new SAP license model for indirect access. The biggest challenge after reading the blog will be: how can I know the impact for my situation and my SAP system?
For this purpose SAP has developed an estimation tool.
Questions that will be answered in this blog are:
- Which note do I need to apply to get the estimation tool?
- How do I run the estimation tool?
- Why is the tool estimation only?
Warning: this tool only gives estimation. The tool cannot take into account specific configurations you have done to standard SAP that influence the outcome. Also the tool cannot take into account potentially company specific agreements you have made with SAP.
Installation of the estimation tool
The OSS note to install is depending on your version (S/4HANA or ECC):
- OSS note 2644172 – Digital Access: Tool for SAP S/4HANA to determine an approximate number of licenses required in the future
- OSS note 2644139 – Digital Access: Tool for SAP ERP (ECC) to determine an approximate number of licenses required in the future
Running the estimation tool
After the note is installed you can start program DAC_S4_COUNT_DOCUMENTTYP_ITEM:
Fill out the date and user ID to check.
Result is the amount of documents in the period:
How does the counting work?
The counting estimation in the ABAP is simply executing a select count for the timeframe and user on the respective tables for specific document types.
Example below is the counting of purchase order line items:
Here you can see only lines from EKPO with type lc_bstyp_f (which has value ‘F’) are selected. If you have configured your system differently (for example copied F to Z and are using Z) the count program will not find and report this.
This is the reason why the program is only to give you an estimation.
The tool is heavy in development. Regularly check the tool OSS note for new updates of the note version.